Sunday, August 19, 2012

My (Terrible) Hackintosh Experience

Before I start the story, this did NOT happen recently; it was in the middle of my freshmen year of high school - I am now a junior. Alright, now that that's cleared up, let's begin. 

So, I've always been curious about hackintoshing my Netbook and wondered if I'd be able to someday do it. Off and on the motivation would hit me and I would start Googling "how to hackintosh HP mini 110 Netbook" as that was the make/model of my Netbook (and yes, I know a Netbook is not the ideal laptop or PC to hackintosh, but it was my only choice). Eventually, and actually rather quickly, I would lose the motivation after realizing that the easiest way to go about doing the hacking would be to have an actual Mac OS X install disc, which I knew more than well that I wasn't gonna do that. After countless Google searches of it, I finally decided that the easiest way to actually get anywhere close to making it happen would be to torrent Mac OS X Leopard, download a virtual disc image software and do the hacking that way. 

I didn't have a portable CD drive, but luckily a friend of mine had one, and he was kind enough to let me borrow it for however long the damn process would take on my very first attempt with this risky business. So, after I had finally downloaded the torrent and put it onto the disc, I was ready to boot up from the CD and start installing Mac OS X (of course, way before all this I had made sure I backed up whatever I wanted to save). Everything was going smoothly at first, selecting the partitioned drive to install the OS onto, choosing whatever other small features I needed, blah blah blah. The actual installation probably took the longest, as it was roughly a half hour. This very next part was the most nerve-racking. After I rebooted my Netbook, I wanted to have it be so that I could dual-boot Windows 7 AND Mac OS X... which I obviously didn't do enough researching on, because it's where I fucked up. Once I rebooted, a bunch of confusing text rolled through the screen, and I didn't know what the hell to do. After that was done, nothing happened. I was slowly starting to panic, knowing this was probably going to happen. 

My next move was to try restarting the system. That only made it worse. It immediately showed an error message on the screen, so I couldn't boot up into anything. About 5 minutes after this, I was literally sobbing, thinking I had somehow overwritten Windows and had destroyed my Netbook (I can get extremely nervous when things start to go wrong for me tech-wise). I started frantically texting my friend who had borrowed me his portable CD drive, and he tried helping me through it, since he's a tech guy. He told me that Windows was still there, I had just confused the boot loader and it didn't know what to do, since I hadn't set it correctly for Mac (which is why I knew I should never have attempted this thing). I ended up giving him my Netbook for a while so he could fix it and get Windows back up and running. It took about 3 or 4 days, and then it was back to its good-ole' self. 

To this day, I don't even dream of or consider hackintoshing my Netbook, as I always remember what happened when I tried it on my own (like an idiot) the first time. But hey, I was a stupid freshmen. And so, there you have it. My first and worst experience with the world of hackintosh and how it definitely is not for me. I wouldn't even have a professional do it for me. I love Windows 7, and I see no need to mash Mac OS X along side it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment