Friday, August 24, 2012

If I Could Go Back In Time

If I were able to go back to a certain time in my life, it would be my eighth grade year of school, and more specifically, the summer before my freshmen year of high school. The reason being it was a very fun summer. I was on YouTube a lot, making videos for "The iPhone App Show", other random videos I had attempted to make, and so on. Unfortunately, due to time going on, being busy and all, I don't make YouTube videos right now. I haven't made one since I started high school, which is sad. I really wish I could get back on and continue the app show. :(

Currently, I am a junior in high school. Man has the time flown by. Just yesterday it feels like I was entering my first day of middle school as a fifth grader. Another big reason why I would go back to my eight grade year is because I remember very specifically, when school was winding down and summer was upon me, I was just walking around at school in the hall and in different classrooms, and I decided to go into the math room and sit there for a while. I looked around and thought "Wow, I'm almost done with my time here.". I was actually kind of sad, because I'm one of those people who really liked their childhood, unless you don't consider up to eighth grade your childhood, but I do. Anyway, I also remember that summer being the time when I got into the world of jailbreaking and tweaking my iPhone like no other. The very first time I had ever jailbroken my iPhone was when had first found out about the Spirit jailbreak, and how simple it was. I downloaded the software, connected my iPhone to my trusty Netbook and started the process. It didn't take long at all, but I remember being so nervous that it wouldn't work or something. 


That jailbreak was the first of many jailbreaks I had performed that summer. I used RedSn0w at least 5 times. I would jailbreak, then unjailbreak, jailbreak, etc. I don't know why, but that's what I did. Once I realized I could my iPhone's screen to show on my Netbook, I began working with my shitty webcam on my computer and figured out a way to start up "The iPhone App Show". I didn't think to do it all on my own, Lane Fournerat, better known as "LaneVids", had been doing it for a while, and I recall my older sister showing me a video and it was of him reviewing the "Talking Carl" app. He used a program called CamTwist, and it was a more-than-perfect setup. I unfortunately couldn't use the same program, as it was only for Mac computers. I eventually lived with using my webcam and the screen recording software I had found off the Internet that was free. I got through 17 episodes before I had to quit because of school. I was really bummed when I had to stop, because it was fun recording the video and then editing it. 


Then, in the winter of I believe 2011, I was hoping to get back on with making videos, and I attempted to notify what very small viewer base I had created over the summer (because I haven't been making videos in so long, it has stayed at the same number, which confuses me, because I'd think subscribers would unsubscribe from me because I don't produce anymore content) that I was going to try making more videos, but it never happened. I then decided to wait until school was over and start again in the summer, but it still never happened. The reason for that was because (1) I had failed my second semester math exam, putting me at a D+ for the year, and (2) my control/addiction with technology was worsening. I had wasted literally half of my summer on a game that was getting me nowhere in the real world. I would stay up until 2 AM playing on the computer, go to bed, and then get up at lunch time, eat and then play until sometimes 3 AM. It was sad, and I wish I had thought for myself during that time and listened to my parents when they told me to get off. To this day, I'm banned from the game and even the websites that go along with the game. 


So, as I sit here typing up this blog post on this very hot August summer day, I think back to what I could've done better with my past, and how now I can only look to the future and how I can choose to utilize it. But, I guess people could be saying "Life's too short to dawn on the past; live it up like there's no tomorrow." or something like that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment