Monday, August 27, 2012

Getting To Bed Early/On-Time

I think the last time I got to bed between 9:30 and 10:00 PM was in eighth grade. Yeah, I know - that's sad. Once freshmen year hit, it started to hit 10:00 to 10:30 PM. Then sophomore year, I was lucky if I got to bed by 10:30 PM, and it was usually either because of math or because I had some big project to work on. I actually longed to get to bed early some of those nights when I didn't get how to do something, the clock ticking late at night, can't think beyond belief, but I know I don't have any time to work on it the next day during school. -_- God, I sure hope that isn't the case this year. I hope I can be in bed no later than 10:30 this year. Since I have a parking pass for school, I want to use it to my advantage and get the same parking spot every single day.

Blogging about this specific topic makes me think back to my earlier days of life. I remember one night when I was in either seventh or eighth grade, my dad and I were watching "Deal or No Deal" up in my parents' bedroom, and it just kept going on and on, taking forever for the contestant to pick a briefcase to open up. My dad eventually got so pissed off by it, he made me go to bed without letting brush my teeth or anything. Of course, as soon as he went downstairs I brushed my teeth and then went back to bed. It was probably 10 PM that night when I went to bed. I would even be happy with getting to bed at 10 this year for school. But yeah, it was my elementary through middle school years when I was able to get to bed the earliest and not have to worry about some big-ass project that was due the next day or in the next two days because of major procrastination. I'll make damn sure none of that bullshit happens this year.

I would say this year - sophomore year - I actually struggled with getting to bed before midnight. And only 6 hours of sleep before an AP Gov. test isn't very fun. Boy did I hate AP Gov. But that's besides the point. At least 1/4 of the school year, heck, maybe even 1/2 of the school year consisted of me not getting to bed until midnight, sometimes a half hour after midnight. I would be so pissed off when I finally got ready for bed, had all of my homework done and felt accomplished that night, and then I would look at the clock next to my night stand and it would say 12:15 AM. "Son of a bitch." I'd say to myself and groan. Although, nothing was worse than having to get up in the morning after so little sleep. Halfway through the day I'd be fighting to stay awake in English or Math. I remember when I was still on that online game I played, there was one night I will remember forever that was the reason I am permanently banned from it to this day. I was all ready for bed and (I even still had my nice glasses, now that I remember!) for some reason I decided to go on the computer for just a bit... but that turned into a half hour of madness.

I shouldn've just gone right to bed. I'd probably still be able to go on the game and I'd be so far in it, but because of what I did, I wrecked it for myself. I was on the game's "GangWars" server because the main one was down, and I remember very clearly that at around 12:30 AM I thought I could hear someone upstairs coming down, and I started freaking out. I quickly logged out, turned the computer off and bolted up to the stairs. Fortunately, they were just going to the bathroom, so I raced into my room. That moment was where I made my mistake. I was a little too loud getting to my room that my parents heard me, and my mom knew all too well what I'd been doing. The first thing she said was "James, tomorrow you are going to be deleting all of that gaming shit and I'm going to watch you do it." The first thing my dad said was "We, we don't even know who you are anymore, and it really scares us, it really does.". I knew right then and there that my chances of ever getting back on were burned up in that moment. I knew myself and that I was getting out of control, and my mom kept telling me "You're like an alcoholic, and every chance you get you keep drinking more and more beer.". I kept denying it, just like an alcoholic would do, and I didn't listen to her like I should have.

So, there you have my story of why I've had trouble getting to bed early and on-time in the past. I hope to fix that this coming school year and to never have an incident like the one I had last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment