Sunday, November 19, 2017

The iPhone X: Underwhelming

I've been cruising along on the iPhone 6S since January 2016 and it has since served me well. The only problem; it's just 16 GB storage. For the last, I'd say, 8 or 9 months, I've been constantly having to manage the space left and struggle lately to keep the phone above just a couple hundred MBs. Plus, as is the case with most phones nowadays, the batter life has slowly diminished, leaving me to charge it every single night. When I first got the phone, I was getting a day and a half easy between charges - mind you, leaving it in Airplane Mode overnight, but still, not bad.

Anyway, my biggest three reasons for looking at new phones is because (1) the storage is lacking big time, (2) battery life is less than stellar, and (3) I literally can't update my phone anymore because of the limited storage space. I've tried removing any apps that I don't use anymore, but I noticed if I wanted to make a dent in free space I'd have to remove Spotify, as that app is using nearly 2.5 gigs of space with all the music I downloaded for offline use. My point is, I can't free up anymore space because there's nothing else on my phone that I'm not using that much.

Now that Apple has launched the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X, I've got some options. I checked out the X yesterday since it's the 10th anniversary of the iPhone and supposed to be the "future of smartphones". The minute I picked it up and unlocked it, I realized I didn't want this phone. Nothing about it made me giddy or feel like it would be even close to worth $1,000. I checked out the Animojis, and those were really more like something I'd have fun with for the first few weeks and then quickly lose interest in after that. Plus, I realize I still prefer having some kind of a physical home button, even if it doesn't actually click anymore. FaceID is probably cool and I'm sure works really great, but TouchID feels better for some reason. Not to mention, the multitasking features are a little awkward. You can't just swipe up and have any opened apps appear; you either swipe up and hold for a second, or swipe up and slightly to the right. To close them out, you hold down on them first and then swipe up to remove them, which sorta sucks.

After my test-run and further thought, I'm probably gonna go to the iPhone 8 and get the 256 gig model. That way, I've got a phone that I know I'm gonna like (same design as the 6, 6S, and 7), plenty of storage, and can keep it going for possibly 4 or 5 years. The 8 and X have the same processing chip, so there's nothing like a loss in power on either end, and TouchID is still there, so I consider this a win-win for me.

But yeah, the iPhone X doesn't seem like a phone that lives up to the hype the internet was surrounding it with. It's very similar to my 6S in many ways, only differs with no home button and almost all screen, and isn't by any means worth the down payment on a car. I'm gonna save the couple hundred bucks, get a phone that's like mine but much more powerful and hella storage, and zoom off to the future. Why did I say that.

So that's my, as some would say, maybe, "hot take" on the iPhone X and why it's underwhelming. It's as if someone took my 6S and made the screen bigger and took away the home button. Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment