Sunday, November 8, 2015

This Damn Semester

I'm over halfway through my third of four semesters at WCTC, and I'm really pissed about all of it so far. There are two classes that I'm doing okay in, but that's about it. Cold Processes is the only one that I have a solid A in, and the other I have a B+ in. Everything else is a C, and it blows. I really can't seem to win at any of it either. In Basic Mechanisms, I have without a doubt the worst fucking teacher ever. He wasn't so bad first semester (mostly because I didn't know anything about him, hadn't heard anything about him, so I just went with it) but after second semester started, I kinda saw what he was really like as a teacher, and this semester, I can't believe how fucking horrible he is, and how he's still teaching at WCTC. First of all, he's creepy as shit, probably cuts his fingernails once a year, can't seem to tame his hair one bit and makes really weird noises. Also, he sucks at teaching. Lots of times he has to go back to his notes to remember what something means, says "I'll post an announcement in Blackboard and get back to you on that that way." or has to spend 15 minutes going through one simple problem because he clearly has no fucking clue how to do it himself. He spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get an answer to something he worked on an hour before class, and was even like "Well, I was able to get this an hour ago." He also uses another teacher's notes for his lectures that he doesn't even understand himself. He'll literally read them word for word, do example problems out of the book, and that's it. No explanation on how they're done, where they get certain numbers from, just, here's what this is, and here's what they got. Oh and he looooooooooves to say "Alright, now what? What do I do next? What's next?" during lecture when working through example problems. Most of the time I don't know what to do because I'VE NEVER SEEN A PROBLEM LIKE THIS BEFORE, SO HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT ME TO KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT? Once, just before lecture ended, he introduced these idiotic "Instant Center method circles", and completely blew over the information that explained what they were for, and at the end of class, he even said some people don't like doing those so they just ignore that part. So then why in God's name are you putting so much emphasis on this if students in the past hated them and don't even do them?! GAH he just pisses me off so much, but I'm not gonna blow up on him because that ain't gonna do fucking shit. There have been kids who already complained to the dean about him and tried to get him fired, because of his contract, he can't be fired. It's complete bullshit. I mean, if, say, 10 students gather to talk with the dean about a teacher who clearly can't teach, and they all agree that he sucks, why the fuck does a contract override that? If a school is so "Oh, we're for the kids and we do whatever we can to help them succeed in their education!", then why are they like "Sorry, we can't fire him even though he's a shit teacher because of his contract.", huh? Sounds to me like they don't wanna look bad for firing a teacher because he doesn't know the material.

Anyway, enough of that rant that really wasn't supposed to be a rant. My main point is that he's a terrible teacher and my grades are average because of it. Other classes of mine are kinda suffering. Partly because I'm trying to work 16 hrs/week, also because I sort of procrastinate, but mostly because of that teacher and that I just can't seem to win with any of it. Even with this last Strength of Materials test I took, I was feeling really good about all of it, and then I get it back and I got a 78%, which is like barely a C-, I think a high D+. That's another thing that really pisses me off about WCTC. They use the dumbest grading scale ever. 95-100 is an A (yeah, apparently they don't believe in A+ grades), 93-94 is an A- (yep, 1% difference for the A- group), and then it just gets dumber as you go lower on the scale. And they have these stupid Critical Life skills that we're gonna be getting graded on next semester, which is stupid too. Basically every school I went to - well, Saylesville, sorta-ish - has ended up kinda really sucking in certain ways after being there a while.

But still, dammit. This all really sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment